Tuesday 9 January 2018

Running red lights on Yarm Road

I have been contacted by a number of residents, individually, who are worried about traffic jumping the traffic lights along Yarm Road. The two junctions causing most concern are Yarm Road/West End Way/Van Mildert Way and Yarm Road/Sculptor Crescent/Lidl.

It is not clear to me whether the cars driving along Yarm Road are failing to notice the red lights, or whether they are choosing to ignore them. However, too many are taking dangerous chances by driving straight through.

I have been in touch with Highways a number of times and am now asking them to consider adding a couple of extra seconds, to both sides holding people at red for a bit longer, so that the cars emerging from the side streets have less chance of being smashed off the road.

I am being told that there are very few reports of accidents at these locations. I can't explain that but I do know from long experience that when a number of people separately approach their councillor about an issue they are concerned about, without knowing that anyone else has done so, it is something that needs taking seriously. 

I hope to have more news soon

No comments:

Post a Comment